IN BED WITH: Cincinnati Bengals' Safety, Jessie Bates
Jessie Bates (born February 26, 1997) is a safety for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He played college football at Wake Forest. He made his professional regular season debut and first career start in the Cincinnati Bengals' at the Indianapolis Colts and recorded eight solo tackles in their 34–23 victory. On September 13, 2018, Bates recorded three solo tackles, broke up a pass, and made his first-career interception during a 34–23 victory against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 2. Bates made his first career interception off a pass attempt by Joe Flacco, that was originally intended for wide receiver Michael Crabtree, and returned it for a 21-yard gain in the first quarter. On October 28, 2018, Bates recorded his first career pick-six, in which he intercepted a pass by Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston intended for wide receiver Adam Humphries. He returned the interception 21 yards.
1. You’ve had a very impressive season so far doing a job that a million kids grow up dreaming of one day doing as well. What do you love most about what you do? What motivates you to succeed?
I think the best part about my job is that I’m doing something that I love to do! The fact that I’m living my dream out is just a blessing and I thank God for that. The best part about it is that I’m not only one living this dream, but everyone who has put in time and sacrifices to get me where I am today are living the dream as well. I would always say I would be a professional something growing up and it happened to be a professional football player. Anything is possible if you JUST BELIEVE!
2. As a rookie, the demands of going pro must be a tough adjustment. Beyond simply the extremely elite training of athletes that you play with, balancing travel, rigorous practice and game schedules and recovery time must also be challenging. What do you do to rise to the challenge?
The physical demands are expected to increase because this is your job and if you can’t adjust to it, they will find someone else to do it--just like any other job in this world. With the physical demands increasing now, it is key that you take care of your body because that is your BUSINESS.
3. In your opinion, how important is sleep and nutrition for a professional athlete? Does it have an impact on performance and recovery?Sleep and nutrition can make or break an athlete. It is possible to get away with it when you are younger, however, when you get older and this becomes your career, sleep becomes a key component to recovery! You can get all the massages you want, but, none of that matters if you aren’t getting enough sleep or eating well.
4. What's your strategy for keeping your head in the game for away games? It can be a challenge for athletes to play in another city, with overcoming jet-lag and without the support of the fans they would have at home.
Honestly, I personally like to travel and see other people’s cities and stadiums! I really think the best players learn how to adjust and adapt to the situation when playing in away games. However, I can understand why you are in a disadvantage when the crowd is getting loud and people can’t communicate as well but good teams and players adjust to the atmosphere and routine then play to the best of their abilities!
5. We see you deliver monster hits once a week on game day, but the wear and tear of training and play must accumulate. Do you have any tricks to help you get the sleep you need to recover properly so you can do it all over again?I have a few tricks that help me get a great night of sleep. One, with being single and young, having my body pillow that I cuddle is a big deal. Secondly, just the feel of laying my head on my pillows and laying in bed is something that is important. Last, having my fan on the highest level so my room a little cooler will help me get the perfect night's rest!
6. You get to sleep in. If you could have anything, what’s your ideal breakfast in bed?The day I wake up to breakfast in bed will be a dream come true because I don’t think that’ll happen anytime soon. However, my ideal breakfast would be eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, a “Waffle House” waffle, some cinnamon rolls, and last, a chocolate milk!
Sleepenvie is a Toronto-based online mattress-in-a-box and bedroom lifestyle brand that focuses on customization, convenience, and charitable contribution.
We make the mattress-buying process easy by delivering it directly to your door in one easy-to-handle compact box. We strongly believe in customizability, rather than a one-size-fits-all approach. An easy one-minute quiz matches you to the ideal mattress for your lifestyle and sleep habits.