Photo Credit: @_thebeautymafia_
Because we spend approximately 1/3 of our lives sleeping, you would think we would be experts on the subject ;).
Test your knowledge with our fun and fascinating sleep facts.
1. Somniphobia is the fear of sleep.
2. Koala's spend up to 22 hours a night (well, day and night) sleeping, while giraffes need as little as 30min to 1.5 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period.
3. The record for the longest period without sleep is 11 days. A California student named Randy Gardner set this record in 1964 during an experiment. It is not recommended to attempt to break his record as 'risk of death' becomes a serious side effect of extreme sleep deprivation.
4. Talking in your sleep is very common. For deaf people, it is common for them to use sign language in their sleep.
5. Humans are the only mammals that intentionally delay sleep.
6. Sleep is as important to your health as diet and exercise.
7. Only half of a dolphin or whale's brain goes to sleep at a time, which allows them to sleep underwater without drowning. This is called hemispheric sleep.
8. Being awake for more than 16 hours at a time impacts your awareness and reaction time equivalent to that of your blood alcohol level being .05% (the legal limit is .08%)
9. The feeling of falling when half asleep and jerking yourself awake is called ‘hypnic jerks'. While scientists are unsure of why they occur, they are not considered to be dangerous or unhealthy. They may be increased by anxiety, caffeine or physical activity close to bedtime. They are more common in young people and decrease in frequency as we get older.
10. If you are snoring, you are not dreaming.
11. Sleep deprivation is much more dangerous than food deprivation. We, of course, don't recommend conducting this experiment but, if you consider some extreme diets that require you to fast for a few days to a week at a time, most certainly you would come out on the other side a bit 'hangry,' maybe weaker than usual, and most likely tired on top of being thinner--but, you would survive. If you were to go without sleep for a few days to a week, you would find yourself unable to function normally after only 2 days and run into major problems almost immediately after that. Depriving someone of sleep is so serious that Amnesty International classifies sleep deprivation as torture.
12. 'Beauty sleep' is a real thing! During sleep, your skin is able to repair any damage (UV rays, dirt, etc.) and regenerates new skin cells.
13. Even though some people insist they don't snore, mild snoring, at the very least, is universal. Everyone snores at some point in their life.
14. Within 5 minutes of waking up, 50% of your dream is forgotten. After an additional 5 minutes, 90% of your dream is forgotten.
15. Before colour television was introduced, 75% of people dreamt in black and white. Today, 78% of people dream in colour while 12% of people still dream in black and white.
16. The biggest sleep distraction in the world today is 24 hour access to internet.
17. Insomnia is more common in women than men.
18. Pain tolerance, patience, the ability to adapt to change, and the ability to handle stress are all dramatically reduced by sleep deprivation.
Sleepenvie is a Canadian online mattress-in-a-box and bedroom lifestyle brand that focuses on customization, convenience, and charitable contribution.
We make the mattress-buying process easy by delivering it directly to your door in one easy-to-handle compact box. We strongly believe in customizability, rather than a one-size-fits-all approach. An easy one-minute quiz matches you to the ideal mattress for your lifestyle and sleep habits.
Check us out online at www.sleepenvie.com and on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest at @Sleepenvie. Sweet dreams!